Thursday, October 25, 2012

Michael Marra

Mum texted me yesterday with the news of Michael Marra's death. I was sad. When I lived in Glasgow I saw him perform a good few times: at the Royal Concert Hall, the Tron Theatre and the wonderful Cottiers Theatre. I think the Tron gig might even have been a full Semple family trip.

His songs are stories: rich, eccentric and funny stories. And, in a live setting, every song was prefaced with a languid introduction which used that brilliant 50-a-day voice, as well as much Scots dialect. Music inspired by Americana combined with Dundonian lingo was always going to be a compelling mix for me.

He was a brilliant writer and I'm sad I won't get to see him play again.

Try If I was an Englishman and If Dundee was Africa if you're unfamiliar with his work.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ca fait du bien d'entendre de la musique comme j'aimais tant avant ....
Un autre monde maintenant...

Allez - on pratique son fran├žais ! ;-)

Graeme said...

Je suis content que tu souvien de lui!

As you can see .. I need to practice my French!